Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sir Mix-A-Lot


Sometimes, there just aren't enough items in my 60lb makeup kit to suit every issue I come across. Maybe it's just the science geek inside me aching to get some attention, but I tend to create many a concoction when on set to suit the needs that, for one reason or another, the makeup I have just doesn't quite address.

Every now and again, I'll get someone who has a pretty pale, translucent complexion with a slight blue undertone. If you put too much converage onto this kind of face, it can very easily look like a mask. So I'll generally mix 1 part Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint in "Glow" (an orange-y beige tint) into 2 parts Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15 in "Alabaster" (a pale pink beige with medium coverage) to create a luminous sheer glow that undoes darkness and adds just enough coverage that still looks like fresh natural skin. The combination of the glowing particles in the tint and the flat coverage of the foundation create a dulled luminosity that catches light without sparkling and fakes the appearance of imperfections when under photographic conditions.

At times I've found myself wanting a rich deep red lip but find some lipsticks too flat or too dense and many glosses just way too sticky. So once again, I'm reaching into my bag of tricks to come up with something that is rich and creamy enough to hydrate and glide onto lips without being thick and tacky. First I take (the now discontinued) Trucco Pro Lip Pencil in "Blood" and scribble on my hand until it's melted down to the nub. Then I scrape a tiny dollop of Josie Maran Argan Oil Stick and add it to a dollop of L'Oreal Color Riche Lip Gloss in "Rich Nude". Mix all three together with a clean lip brush and soon enough you have a burnt red liquid lipstick with enough hydration to keep lips plump with no sticky texture.

If you've ever had your hair highlighted, you know that no matter how well it was done, those eyebrows are always a dead give-away to the process. Rather than go back for more bleach, I'll usually take any clear brow gel (usually found for $2 at your local beauty supply store) and smush the wand on the inside of my wrist. Then I'll take a tone that suits the highlights of your hair like FACE Stockholm Pearl Eyeshadow in "#17" or "#35" and scrape the tiniest bit into the mascara. To mix the two, I use a spooly wand like the MAC 204 Brush and softly graze against eyebrows for a bit of shimmery tint that coordinates perfectly with your new haircolor.

Many, many times I find the need to play around with what I've already got and come up with things I keep wishing someone had already made. But then I realize the multitude of products that would engross and how heavy carrying around all those items would be. 60lbs is enough, I think. Better to just keep mixing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...