Saturday, October 23, 2010

Product Review; "EOS Sphere Lip Balm"


I used to like to eat Chapstick. No seriously. I'd roll the cherry flavored tube up and lick it off. Subconsciously, I'm sure I just wanted a sweet snack and didn't really care for candy. Or couldn't afford it.

How did I afford Chapstick?

Anyway, that's not such a good idea. Most lip balms are packed full of emollients like Petrolatum, Carnauba Wax, Mineral Oil or other things you really shouldn't put IN your mouth. ON it is fine, but, other than being kind of weird, ingesting the stuff isn't really so wise. It's been done, but still.

Very often, brands will market themselves as being "natural" or "organic" but there really is no clear definition of these terms under the law. And many times those brands will use imagery of leaves, clouds and a wind-blown model to invoke their "natural" features, but are clearly deceptive when the ingredients listing includes items that are too hard to pronounce, let alone be found in nature. But, who can resist clever packaging, really?

EOS Products boast themselves as;

"created to be pretty remarkable...and remarkably pretty".

But low and behold, there on the label reads the adage;

"100% natural, 95% organic"

Can you feel me rolling my eyes? Here we have another brand using the same marketing to incur sales by using vernacular that doesn't even need to be substantiated. So, being the cosmetic-pessimist I am, I turn the product over and look over the ingredients listing- Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Beeswax, Jojoba Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Sunflower Seed Oil... No sign of Petrolatum. Period.

And they have them displayed on the candy rack! Was that a hint?

Made from the majority of good kinds of waxes, this balm comes in a small round tub the size of a golf ball and fits easily into your palm. When opened, it has a surprisingly, perfectly, rounded tip that glides onto both lips in one full swipe leaving no melted or squishy texture behind. The formula feels very stiff in the tub but soft and sweet on the lips. They come in 5 distinct flavors but my favorite is "Summer Fruit"; a blend that invokes Hawaiian Punch without the synthetic aftertaste.

The container is pretty unique as well. The small ball type style has a snap enclosure that completely locks the cap on so there's no fear of it opening in your pocket. And there's a small flat surface making the twist off motion that much easier when fumbling for a quick lip-fix.

Staying power is pretty long as well. My lips are staying super hydrated without any greasy sensation. And I find myself not needing to reapply more than a few hours apart. But I think that's because I just like licking my lips so much. Must be time for a snack.


EOS Sphere Lip Balm; $3.99



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...